Friday, July 22, 2011

A good book

I have already made a couple of posts about the most impressive literary experiences of mine. Somehow, the last one is a already a while ago - I have tried several new books lately but none seemed to have captivated my attention for longer than some 20-25 pages. I must admit - sort of shamelessly - that I do not belong to the ones who always finish the books they start. As much as I love reading, there are books that simply do not work for me and I do not hesitate and put them aside, to look for something truly inspiring.
After having absolutely adored "Atonement" of Ian McEwan, I decided to get to know this English novelist and screenwriter better and went on to "On Chesil Beach". Frankly speaking, the plot of the story was very much unorthodox - taking place in a hotel on the beach, between a young just married couple deeply in love on the eve of their wedding night. Both of them are anxious about their first night to be spent together; however, anxious - in different ways. While the bride is drowning in inner panic, the groom is nervous and impatient about the eagerly expected consumption of the young marriage.
What follows is a beautiful, subtle story of two young hearts, having grown up in distinct backgrounds which  - despite true and sincere love - fail to overcome fear, forget the pain of the past, show courage and wisdom and, as a consequence, unfortuntaly let go their true love.
"On Chesil Beach" is one my truly greatest literary experiences on so many levels - linguistic, emotional and artistic at once.

P.S. I especially loved the ending - the last paragraph so poetic and sorrowful - and could read it over and over again.




No comments:

Post a Comment