Friday, July 29, 2011

Great cinema

One of my favorite film directors is most certainly the famous spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar. I had watched a couple of his films a very long time ago but only came to appreciate his art after having discovered Volver 4-5 years ago.
Ever since, I have watched a large number of his films and even possess a rather significant collection of DVDs. 
His films are melodramatic and expressive narrations of human nature and the nature of human relationships. His characters are highly complex; the protagonists nearly always vulnerable yet strong at the same time. The moods, the settings, the contents, the emotions of his works are very forceful. To me, Almodóvar challenges the boundaries of social tolerance and outlines extraordinary stories in extraordinary ways.
What I love about his works is that each one of them is striking; provoking; shocking; moving in a consistent way. I love how he salutes to female strength and admits male shortcomings. Finally, I love how the red color accompanies the viewer across his films, symbolizing "humanity"  - as he comments himself.
Some of my favorites are Tacones lejanos, Volver, La mala educación as well as Los ambrasos rotos.


all available on www.amazon.com


No comments:

Post a Comment